Situated at the broad, calm part of the Krka River called Carigradska draga, it was erected on the foundation of an older, hermit monastery, and was first mentioned in the written records in 1402, as the endowment of Jelena Šubić.
The Monastery of the Holy Archangel is situated in Carigradska draga, in the middle of the Krka River canyon, and this part of the river was named Aranđelovac, after the monastery.
It was erected on the foundations of an older, hermit monastery, and is one of the most important spiritual centres of the Orthodox Dalmatian eparchy that is seated in Šibenik. A church stands next to the monastery and has the shape of a Byzantine building with a dome. The bell tower was built in the Romanesque style. Below the church there are ancient Roman catacombs, which are open to visitors.
The monastery houses a large and wealthy library with many historical manuscripts, incunabula and rare books.